Thursday, June 12, 2014

Oi familia!!

June 9, 2014

Hello minha familia!!

How are all of you? It’s so weird to be typing in English because I am constantly thinking and speaking in Portuguese. It’s coming along slowly but surely, and for that I am so grateful.

Well . . . we received our transfer calls and it was a huge shock for me!! Sister Vieira will be transferred and I am really sad about that.  Also, I will be training a new missionary! I am really really really nervous, especially because I have only been in the field four weeks here. Oh boy.  Many prayers would be appreciated:-) I will receive the new missionary tomorrow and then we will get right to work for this next transfer!! She will either be a Brazilheira or Hispanica so at least she will know the language more than I do. Anyway, it will definitely be a grand adventure. My mission has been such a unique experience. From
sister training leader to trainee to trainer all in three short transfers.  Such is life.

We had a great week here in Cidade Vargas. Heavenly Father blessed us with so many new people to teach and we are really excited. We have been fasting and praying to find prepared people and once again our prayers were answered! These next few weeks will be really great, I can feel it.

Here were some specific highlights of this week and lessons I learned:

Sister Vieira and I ate out at Sweet Tomatoes here! Who knew that Sweet Tomatoes exists in Brazil, right? It was delicious. It was one hundred percent different than the Sweet Tomatoes we have--complete Brazilian
food--but so much fun. I was reminded of the time we ate there as a family and I spilled all of the bowls haha. I have changed a ton during my mission but I will forever be clumsy!

After we ate at Sweet Tomatoes, we decided to start a fast for our investigator Celia. Celia, Leticia, and Nickoly are still progressing well, reading O Livro de Mormon, and attending activities, but Celia and
Leticia have problems with coffee. We fasted that they would be able to stop. When we taught them that night, Celia said she didn’t drink any coffee that day!! It was a huge miracle because earlier she had been cutting back little by little daily. We are really excited for their progress and it’s amazing to see the spirit O Livro de Mormon brings!

I will describe a little about my area. I love it here. It actually reminds me a ton of MSU because we walk everywhere and street contact. I am so grateful that I got to serve at MSU because it really prepared me to
have courage when we stop people on the streets and be comfortable with talking to strangers. Our area is pretty wealthy for Brazil. Sao Paulo really is like the New York City of Brazil--which I LOVE. (Remember I
found out about the age change and decided to go on a mission in NYC? While I was there walking the streets, I pictured myself being a missionary in a big city and now my dreams are coming true!) There are tons of skyscrapers and wealthy people. It is really similar to MSU in that people will talk to us and set appointments with us, but it is harder to find people who will actually progress. When I received my call to Brazil I thought we would have baptisms all the time. It’s very different than that, and I am SO grateful. The worth of souls is great, and I love the hard work that goes into helping someone make a covenant with Heavenly Father.

With that being said, I had a really cool experience. We had stake conference this weekend and it was so amazing. We usually take the metro to get to the building, but there was a greve (strike) and so we had to walk. As we were walking to the building, we passed huge stores, bars, loud music, and all things wordly. These people think money and temporary satisfaction are the goal in life. I loved the moment we entered the stake center and I could feel the Spirit so potently. It was amazing to have the saints gathered and talk of spiritual things. It was so cool to see how the church operates in Brazil. It is the same. And so cool to be with people who realize money and happiness are the means to the end. The true goal in life is to prepare to live with Heavenly Father again.

Also something funny that happened this week is that I accidentally mixed up the words for unfortunately and fortunately.  I ended up saying “Unfortunately, God sent Jesus Christ to the earth” in a lesson hahaha . . . oops.  Live and learn!

LOVE YOU ALL!!! PRAY FOR ME!!!!

Sister Dixon

No comments:

Post a Comment