Thursday, October 31, 2013

Week won in Williamston!

October 14, 2013

I hope you all like the alliteration . . . sorry it's not grammatically correct but I hope it doesn't make mom cringe too much. Well, it's been an amazing week here in Williamston!  Everything is different from the singles ward, but different in the best ways.  I am grateful for the opportunity to have a change because I am learning so much.  Here are the details of the new area:

We cover the Williamston ward and there is also a set of elders in our ward.  Williamston just underwent a ward split right before I came.  The ward is about 1/7 the size of what it used to be so the members are really having to step up their game to keep the ward moving along!  With the change, our apartment is not in the ward or our area anymore.  We are on a car rotation but this past week we didn't have a car so it was an adventure for all of us to coordinate where to go.  We walked a lot of places which I absolutely loved!  The trees are beautiful and the weather was perfect this week.  Plus there were many crunchy leaves to walk on so it was just really fun.  Sorry I don't have pictures of the new area or companions yet but it is beautiful here!  We have some awesome investigators here.  I haven't been able to meet all of them yet, but we did have a few lessons.

Thomas is a college-age student.  He is a miracle find!  The sisters got him as a media referral (it comes in as a text on the cell phone) so they went to find him.  It turns out he didn't ask for anyone to come and he doesn't know anyone Mormon so it's like Heavenly Father sent in the referral Himself.  But Thomas was interested in learning more.  We taught him the gospel of Jesus Christ this week and set a date with him for November 16th.  He works every Sunday at Walmart--we are hoping a miracle will happen with his work situation so he can come to church!  He is such a sweet guy and really loves reading the Book of Mormon.

Jazzameen is hilarious.  She is a middle-aged woman who used to be Jehovah's Witness.  She is reading the Book of Mormon now and is waiting to get her answer.  Whenever she would try to say "murmuring" in the scriptures, she would say "mothering."   She is so funny . . . I don't really know how to describe it but here is one funny incident.  She went to conference last weekend at the stake center and ordered a pizza into the foyer so she could sit outside and eat it.  Needless to say, she told us she didn't learn very much. 

Dayra is another investigator.  She is actually from Guatemala and doesn't speak very much English.  She has a very hard life--she has 3 children and her husband got deported to Mexico so she cares for them by herself.  Her littlest daughter is in and out of the hospital and is very sick!  We went over yesterday with Katie Parent from the MSU ward.  She recently got back from her mission in Argentina.  The lesson was awesome.  Dayra has so much faith!  She said such a beautiful prayer at the end of the lesson.  It was cool because I could understand most of the Spanish they were saying.  Hopefully that will be the same in Brazil.

We do a lot of door-knocking which I have really grown to love.  It is such a huge adventure and you never know what the person on the other side will be like.  People say the funniest things, too.  One couple started telling us if we really wanted some good work in the area then we should take up bowhunting deer.  Apparently people get paid for that because there is an overgrowth of deer in the area.  It made me think of Napoleon Dynamite haha.

I am really loving being in a family ward.  All of the people I have met are so awesome and really have strong testimonies of the gospel that are apparent in how they raise their children.  Oh and the Hunters are in my ward now!  We are having dinner with them on Friday.  The things I am learning here are teaching me so much about how I want to be.  I love the gospel because it is a gospel of progression and change.  I live for constantly learning and becoming better.  And the only way to do that is through the Atonement! 

I am excited to keep working in this area and to see the miracles that happen.  It's been a huge blessing to be here so far.  I am not the best door-knocker currently but I am learning more and more every day about how to help the gospel message resonate with people.  If anyone has any tips let me know!

Here is a quote I found this week that I liked:  "All the water in the world, no matter how it tried, could never sink the smallest ship unless it got inside.  And all the evil in the world, the blackest kind of sin, can never, ever hurt you unless you let it in."  I think it applies to discouragement and doubt as well.  We always have the choice to be happy!

Have a great week.  Love you all!

Sister Dixon

No comments:

Post a Comment